I tried a couple of recipes for pinwheels before I finally was able to make this the right way. This candy is actually called potato candy and can be made with potatoes. John has never said so out loud, but I think the idea of a sweet treat made with potatoes grosses him out. So, John’s mama had us call his aunt Emily and she provided us with her recipe. It’s quick and simple…and very delicious. It’s very sweet, but you’ll enjoy it, I’m sure.
Total time: 1 hr 10 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hr (not really cooking, but refrigerating)
- 1 tub vanilla frosting
- 1 lb confectioner’s sugar
- peanut butter
- Scoop the entire contents of the frosting into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the confectioner’s sugar over the frosting and work into the frosting with your hand until it makes a dough.
- Lay out wax paper and put the dough on the wax paper.
- Place another piece of wax paper on top of the dough.
- Roll the dough between the wax paper until it’s a 1/2 inch thickness.
- Remove the top wax paper and spread peanut butter on the flattened dough.
- Starting from one end, roll the dough on itself until it makes a log.
- Use the bottom wax paper to cover the log and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove the log from the refrigerator and unroll and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Store in air tight container between layers of wax paper.