My daddy works for the railroad and on the weekends, we used to be able to go with him to some of his work areas alongside the train tracks. We’d go to Food City in Jefferson City and get some snacks in the middle of the time out there. I’d always get lemonade in a little carton and I would get No Bake Cookies. I look back on those times with my dad with great fondness and every time I have a No Bake Cookie, I think of that. Here’s the recipe I use for them.
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan bring to a boil, the sugar, cocoa, butter and milk. Let boil for 1 minute then add peanut butter, vanilla and oatmeal.
- On a sheet of waxed paper, drop mixture by the teaspoonfuls, until cooled and hardened.