This is a great treat to surprise someone when they wake up in the morning, or be selfish and devour it yourself! You can find the thick-sliced Texas toast bread in your bakery, or use any white bread that’s slice around 3/4-inch thick. This recipe will make two servings, so it’ll make it the best part of waking up. Warning: this will earn you brownie points.
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 slices thick bread (such as Texas toast)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Powdered sugar
- On the side
- Maple Syrup
- Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Heat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium/low heat. When the pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon of butter. If butter smokes, your pan is too hot, turn down the heat.
- Drop each bread slice into the batter for about 2 seconds per side. Let some of the batter drip off then drop the bread into the buttered pan. Cook each battered bread slice for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Add more butter to the pan as needed to cook all the french toast.
- Serve three slices of french toast per plate. Dust each serving with a little powdered sugar (tap it through a strainer), with some maple syrup on the side.