Nothing says Christmas like gingerbread men! Gingerbread houses are acceptable, too. 🙂 Hope the madness of the busy weekend has left you well!
Yield: 2 dozen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix first 6 ingredients. Set aside. Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Press dough into disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured work surface. Cut into gingerbread men with 5-inch cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown. Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Decorate cookies by piping designs with plain and colorful royal icing.