Now it shouldn’t come as a shock to anyone that I love being southern. One of the things I like best about it is Apple Butter. This is the second recipe I’ve posted for Apple Butter.
Yield: about 5 to 6 half-pints
- 12 to 14 apples
- 2 cups apple juice
- ground cinnamon, allspice, cloves
- Wash, core, and quarter (do not peel) the apples and place in slow cooker with apple juice. Cover and cook 10-18 hours on low or 2-4 hours on high.
- When apples are tender, run through food processor or food mill to remove peels, or process in blender to pulverize and blend in peels. Measure resulting puree and return to slow cooker.
- For each pint of cooked fruit, add
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, stirring about every 2 hours. Remove cover after 3 hours to allow fruit and juice to condense down.
- Spoon hot apple butter into hot sterilized canning jars and process for 5 minutes in boiling water bath.