Tri-colored cake with a lemon layer, lime layer and an orange layer. The filling is a lemon custard and the frosting is orange. The filling and the frosting just happen to be previous two recipes today!
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 drops orange food coloring
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 1 recipe Lemon Custard Filling
- 1 recipe Orange Cream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9-inch pans. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing until each egg is incorporated; stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Divide batter into 3 bowls.
- In the first bowl, stir in lemon zest and yellow food coloring; pour into prepared pan. In the second bowl, stir in orange zest and orange food coloring; pour into second prepared pan. In the last bowl, stir in the lime zest and green food coloring; pour into third prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake layer comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Assemble the cake: stack the layers together with the Lemon Filling in between the layers. Frost sides and top with Orange Cream Frosting. Refrigerate until serving.