Keep family and guests coming back for more when you serve these sweetly savory cornbread muffins to complement your Christmas ham. (Better make a double batch!)
- 4 cups white bread cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 cups cornbread cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped uncooked bacon
- 2 cups Granny Smith apple peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves stems removed
- 3 cups strong turkey or chicken stock
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter for muffin tin
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and thoroughly butter a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Place a skillet over medium heat, and add the bacon. Sauté until almost brown, then add the apples, onions and celery. Sauté until soft, 4-5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, all herbs, and stock. Add the white bread and cornbread cubes and stir gently to combine, then mix in the beaten eggs and shredded cheese.
- Use a 3/4 cup scoop to portion the mixture into the muffin pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top. Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes. Then run a butter knife around the edges of each muffin cup and lift the muffin out with the knife. Serve warm.