Ultra rich and tender cornbread with fresh sweet corn and smoky bacon speckled throughout is the perfect companion to soups and chili.
- 2 cups corn meal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) melted butter
- 2 cups fresh sweet corn
- 1 cup cooked bacon – diced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, sift all dry ingredients together.
- Stir in the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter, then fold in the corn and bacon. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour the batter into the pan. Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting.