“Tasty” barely begins to describe this stew. With savory beef, rich bacon, veggies and hearty potatoes, “perfect” is a much closer word.
- 3/4 cup italian dressing
- 2 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 carrots (about 1 lb.), sliced
- 1-1/2 lb. red potatoes (about 5), peeled, cut into large chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) beef broth
- Pour dressing over stew meat in resealable plastic bag. Seal bag; turn to evenly coat meat with dressing. Refrigerate 30 min. to marinate.
- Cook bacon in large saucepan on medium heat 5 min. or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Use slotted spoon to remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan; drain bacon on paper towels.
- Add mushrooms and onions to reserved drippings; cook on medium-high heat 10 min. or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove stew meat from marinade; add to saucepan with carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, broth and bacon. Discard bag and marinade.
- Bring stew to boil, stirring occasionally; cover. Simmer on low heat 1-1/2 hours or until beef is done and stew is thickened, stirring occasionally and uncovering for the last 15 min.
How to prepare in a slow-cooker:
- Marinate beef, and cook bacon, onions and mushrooms as directed. Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Add beef, bacon, onions, mushrooms and remaining ingredients to slow cooker; cover with lid. Cook on LOW 10 to 12 hours (or on HIGH 5 to 6 hours ). Stir in 2 Tbsp. flour mixed with 2 Tbsp. water. Cook, covered, 15 min. or until sauce is thickened.