An impressive roast for holiday parties and other special occasions. Coat with a seasoning rub and roast slowly for tender flavorful meat.
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 boneless beef rib roast, 5 to 6 pounds
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix first 5 ingredients in small bowl. Set aside. Trim excess fat from top of beef, leaving a layer of fat about 1/4-inch thick. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Brush beef with oil. Sprinkle with salt. Coat with seasoning mixture.
- Roast, uncovered, until internal temperature reaches 130°F for medium-rare (1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours) or 140°F for medium (2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours). Cover with foil and let stand 15 minutes before carving. (The temperature of the meat will rise about 10 degrees during standing.).