Want the flavors of a burger with the ease of the slow cooker? You got it! Plus, this easy, versatile soup takes just 20 minutes to prep.
- 2 lb ground beef
- 4 cups chopped onions (3 to 4 medium)
- 2 cans (28 oz each) fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup steak sauce
- 16 oz American cheese loaf, cut into cubes
- 1 bag (22 oz) frozen waffle fries
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until brown; drain.
- In slow cooker, mix beef, onions, tomatoes and steak sauce. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 hours, or on High heat setting 4 hours.
- Stir in cheese; cover and set slow cooker to Warm heat setting. Stir occasionally while fries cook.
- Make waffle fries as directed on package.
- Serve soup topped with lettuce and waffle fries.
- To freeze: Store soup in quart-size resealable freezer plastic bags. Label, and freeze lying flat. To reheat: Defrost overnight in refrigerator, or in microwavable bowl on Defrost setting in microwave, stirring often. Then microwave uncovered on High 4 to 6 minutes or to 165°F. Serve with freshly cooked waffle fries and shredded lettuce.
- You don’t have to stop at the waffle fries for garnish. Pickles and crumbled bacon make welcome additions, too.
- Have a smaller slow cooker? This recipe is easily halved.