Keep a can of chickpeas in your pantry for impromptu entertaining. You can easily prepare hummus, a Middle Eastern chickpea dip.
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Drain chickpeas, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid. Place chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, red pepper and salt in food processor; cover. Process until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. Add reserved liquid; process until smooth.
- Spoon hummus into serving bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Garnish with toppings as desired. Serve with pita chips or warm pita wedges. Store hummus in airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 days.