At Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando, FL, Pandora – The World of Avatar just opened and at Pongu Pongu (a snack shop), they serve a dessert called Pongu Lumpia.
Lumpia is a spring roll of Chinese origin, commonly found as a popular street food snack in Indonesia and the Philippines. It is traditionally a mixture of savory vegetables and chopped meat filling rolled in a spring roll wrapper. However, the Disney Culinary Team developed the version sold at Pandora – The World of Avatar with a sweet spin – cream cheese and diced pineapple.
Makes 10 Lumpia
- 10 spring roll wrappers
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- Oil for frying
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Carefully separate spring roll wrappers. Cover wrappers with moist paper towel to prevent drying.
- Cut softened cream cheese into 10 equal pieces.
- Place one spring roll wrapper on a cutting board. Place one piece of cream cheese in the center of the spring roll and spread evenly on wrapper, leaving a 3/4-inch border around the edges. Add 3 tablespoons of diced pineapple and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
- Roll one edge of the wrapper towards the center. Fold in both sides and continue rolling. Moisten the edge with water to seal the lumpia.
- Repeat with remaining spring roll wrappers.
- Place lumpia on prepared baking sheet and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat 1 inch of oil in a frying pan to 350°F. Fry lumpia for 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Roll in remaining sugar before serving.